Requirements for obtaining a library card: Adults
– Must be 18 years of age or over
– Valid current State of Michigan driver’s license or State ID card with current Ferndale address
– Valid picture ID or passport and current lease or mortgage or utility bill with name and current Ferndale address. Identification with post office box number only is not acceptable.
Except for addresses on Woodward Ave, any address with more than four digits identified with the City of Ferndale and the 48220 zip code is in Royal Oak Township. Applicants with Royal Oak Township addresses must obtain a library card from the Royal Oak Township, or purchase a non-resident card.
To provide better service, applicants are encouraged to provide their phone number and email address, but neither is required to obtain a card and have full borrowing privileges.
Patrons must report a change in address. A change of address sticker on the back of a driver’s license or State ID, new driver’s license or State ID, or current lease or mortgage or utility bill with name and current Ferndale address will be accepted as proof of a change of address. If mail sent to patrons (overdue notices, etc.) is returned to the library, borrowing privileges will be suspended until the patron presents documentation of a new or alternative address.
Requirements for obtaining a library card: Children
Click here for Children’s Library Card Application
– Children ages 5 to 17 must have a parent or legal guardian sign their application for a library card. (See Children’s Library Card Application)
– If a child’s parent or legal guardian cannot come to the library to fill out and sign the application, an application will be sent home with the child to be filled out and signed by the child’s parent or guardian. The child must return the form to the library and present his or her parent’s or guardian’s valid current identification (see Requirements: Adults above). A card will then be issued.
-A library card will be issued to an emancipated child in his or her own name if the child provides appropriate current documentation as proof of emancipation.
Parents and/or legal guardians are responsible for any library fines or fees accrued by their child. To meet demand and secure prompt return a fine of $1.00/day up to a maximum of $15.00 is charged for overdue visual media (films and television shows). Parents or legal guardians who do not wish their children to have borrowing privileges regarding visual media must so indicate on the application form. Parents and guardians will be denied borrowing privileges if their children fail to return visual media or for accumulation of fines.
Expiration of Cards
– Cards for City of Ferndale residents, non-resident Ferndale property owners, and FADL employees expire and must be renewed in one year from the date of issuance.
– Cards for non-residents, non-residents employed in the City of Ferndale, and non-resident students expire and must be renewed in one year from the date of issuance.
– Cards may be renewed within 30 days of their expiration date.